In your share this week:
- red onions
- yellow onions
- Swiss chard
- head cabbage
- mystery herb: cilantro -or- basil -or- dill (you'll get 1 of these, not all 3, and it's just luck as to who gets which)
- golden beets - only enough for Jackson, it's extra work for us to keep on the tops, so please make use of them :)
- cauliflower - goes to Afton, Alpine & Smoot
- tomatoes - Afton, Alpine & Smoot
- broccoli - Alpine & Smoot
*Please don't feel left out on receiving any particular items this week, or over the season - as I've said before, the plants aren't giving us enough for everyone so I've been rotating produce to various pick-up locations, keeping track on the calendar, and have been as fair and even as possible. :) Frankly, I can't believe all these plants have held on for so long and are still producing in the middle of October. Some of the food in this week's share are a wonderful bonus as a result of some warm weather and our continued efforts to cover and uncover the crops each day and night. Enjoy!
Our garlic field is prepared and ready for planting. We are a few weeks behind on this important project, but the weather is being very cooperative and we will get it done! We will be planting garlic on Friday and Saturday mornings this weekend, and probably finishing up the first part of next week. Then we move on to end of season clean up. Lots to do and the more we get done now, the better off we'll be next spring. We welcome any volunteers who can come help!
As I sit here thinking of what to say in my last newsletter for the 2014 season, I'm a bit emotional and my heart is full! Shain and I are so very thankful and grateful for a wonderful season! We are very proud of this farm!
- Thanks to our most amazing group of Workshares! These folks have been helping us since April. They come each and every week to help on the farm, regardless of the weather. They work very hard right by our side and we recognize that this help is essential to the success of this season and our farm in general. THANK YOU!
- Thank you for the support of all our CSA members. Your financial support helps us operate this farm but your time and efforts to go to a local pick-up site for our weekly delivery is also appreciated. I know this can be inconvenient and is quite a drive for some people. Thank you for valuing our farm in this way.
- I am so happy to say that we only had one mix up with someone not getting their CSA share the entire season! Thank you for following the pick-up rules I've set to help things go smoothly. And for reading the signs on the coolers and boxes. Your help in this way has saved me so much time and energy this year and I think you all are wonderful!
- Things don't always turn out as we plan, crops don't grow like we hope, weather causes us extra work and loss of food, but I can say with great pride and confidence that we give it our all and we love what we do. We are making a difference in this world!
- This farm is my greatest teacher. I am a better person because of what I do. Thank you for being a part of EverGreen Farm.
Have a great week and ENJOY your veggies!
P.S. We are looking forward to 2015! Shares will go on sale in January. Or, come be a part of our crazy, dedicated, fun loving "A Team" workshare crew one morning per week in lieu of payment. Updates and information will continue to be posted to this blog and on facebook. I will also send out an email to all current members when we get organized for 2015.